Annual Meeting 2018-11-02

Filed under: BOK Meetings by Joseph on November 1st, 2018

BOK 2018 Annual Meeting Minutes

November 4, 2018 / 7:00 PM / 904 Dorothea Drive, Raleigh, NC

  • 2019 Schedule subject to permits

    • January
      • Josef Umstead West Members Relay January 13, 2019
      • Jan 27 Vladimir & Tanya Carolina North Open
    • February
      • Feb 2 or 3: Ft. Macon State Park , members Advanced, probably sprints (directed by Carl Briscoe and cadets)
      • February 17: Eno River, Open Dave
    • March
      • March 3 Schenck Forest, Open Dave
      • March 17 ARDF Open Umstead West Joseph & Ruth
      • March 31 Open Umstead South Ian & Pat
    • April
      • April 13: BSA display (‘Conclave’) at Camp Durant – we will also try to set up a beginner course, a sprint, and an advanced middle. (Possibly Members & scouts)
      • April 14 Open Eno Josef (Rezeli or Thompson)
    • May
      • May 5 Umstead North Open Mihai Imri
      • May 26 Umstead West Members Advanced Vladimir & Tanya
    • June
      • June 2, 2019 ARDF open at Eno Patrick & Kelly
      • June 9: Carolina North Forest, Members Event Dave (surprise new format race), Advanced
      • June 23 Open Sprint Jeff & Deborah Lake Crabtree
    • July
      • July 7 : Dorothea Dix, Sprint, Open Vladimir & Tanya   
    • August
      • ARDF Open US & Region II champs July 28-Aug 4, 2019
        • July 28- FoxOring & Sprint
        • July 29 –  80m
        • July 30 –  2m
        • August 1 –  FoxOring Championship
        • August 2 –  Sprint Championship
        • August 3 –  2m Championship
        • August 4 –  80m Championship
    • September
      • Sept 8 Umstead North Open Vladimir Tanya
      • September 14: Carolina North Forest, Dave Night-O, Members, Advanced
    • October
      • October 5 Pittsboro, Members sprint (Advanced) + Briar Chapel community, (no permit yet)
      • October 19  Dave: NJROTC event at Umstead North
      • October 20 Dave Ian Open Umstead North
      • October 27, 2019 Open  Eno ARDF Patrick & Kelly
    • November
      • November 10, Umstead West Members Advanced Lina
      • November 16 (Saturday): Chapel Hill Urban Score-O, Open 
      • November 24 Raven Rock Open Vladimir & Tanya
    • December
      • December 8 ARDF Sprint Open Dix
      • December 14: Umstead Equestrian, 2- or 4-hour Score-O, Members, Advanced
  • Permanent Course

    • Permanent O-course to be improved at Bond Park with multiple levels (Mihai, Lina, Ian, Dave)
  • Software & hardware report

    • Ian purchased a tablet, a printer, some cables and adapters to connect the download box to the tablet to use SI-Droid for real time results.  It is working quite well.
    • BOK will buy the equipment at cost from Ian for $200
  • ARDF report

    • After the 2019 ARDF Champs we expect to raise funds to pay for the receivers we purchased.
    • BOK authorized funds to purchase 6 classic event transmitters (Estimated at $3000)
    • Joseph & Ruth personally bought some more “training transmitters” so we can set up a full sprint.
  • Mapping update

    • Dave is offering to sell BOK the Eno River map. It is approximately 3000 acres.
      • BOK will purchase the Eno River Map at a price to be negotiated.
    • Dave would like to print a 1:5000 version of the Eno River map on a poster (48” x 44”), ask club members to sign it, and to present it as a gift to park staff.
      • BOK approves this purchase at reasonable cost
    • Dave would like suggestions for more urban areas to map for events like the Chapel Hill score event. The best areas would have non-rectilinear street patterns.
    • A. BSA Camp Durant. This map is only about 15% field-checked, although it could currently support sprints or a middle distance event. We need to re-establish contact with management and schedule a meet (perhaps in addition to the event in April)
    • B. Dorothea Dix. This map is maybe 30% done and currently supports sprints around the hospital. Dave will continue work on the rest of it.
    • C. Birkhead Wilderness. Josef should continue to work on the land connecting our two existing maps.
    • D. Triangle Land Conservancy areas. On 12 November, Joseph and Dave will meet with stakeholders at TLC to negotiate use of some of their holdings for orienteering. There are three TLC properties that may be suitable:
      • i. Brumley Nature Preserve. Currently allows mountain biking, 613 acres. Possibly enough parking to support an open meet. Across the street from 500 additional acres of Duke Forest land. Very close to Eno River State Park. Not as hilly or rocky as Eno River.
      • ii. Horton Grove. 708 acres north of Durham.
      • iii. Johnston Mill Preserve. About 300 acres that can be connected to the illicit Duke Forest (Korstian) map.
    • E. In the coming month, Dave hopes to get permission to use the farmland in the SE of the Schenck map . It is managed by NCSU College of Agriculture & Life Science. This area, along with the trail that goes under Wade Ave. and joins up with Carter Finley could add enough area to the existing map to make it worth doing. Dave encourages people who are contemplating setting courses at Schenck to adopt and help improve the new map. 
    • F. Lake Jordan SRA (Parker’s Creek, north of US-64 + the Educational State Forest). About 920 acres. Not interesting topography but good infrastructure. We will explore this area further keep this venue in mind for a future year.
    • Hire a professional mapper to re-do the Umstead map.
        • Dave offers to contact OCIN about how and when we can get one of the Russian mappers (Vladimir Lyuk or Vladimir Zherdev)
        • Dave to contact OCIN
        • Confirm with Umstead that this is OK and secure future permission for the use of Umstead
        • Get some estimate of the cost.  We understand that these mappers work by the hour so we need an estimate of their speed on other maps.
    • The area west of Umstead (north of Crabtree). Is this now managed by Wake Co.? We should establish contact with land managers and get permission to map/use it.
      • Yes we would like to investigate this
    • Continue field checking Pullen Park for sprints and possibly ARDF
      • We will check out Pullen for radio interference
  • Membership change (if OUSA continues to penalize clubs for members)  

    • Institute a plan to require event work to be a “member”
    • Create a annual event pass at the current rate so fees remain the same
    • Revisit this in June depending on OUSA policy
  • Online pre-registration & payment

    • Membership dues increase $5 (Individual $35, Family $50)
    • Event fees rise by $2 to $7 stick rental remains the same at $5
    • Half price memberships purchased after March is no longer available.
    • Event directors have the option to use online registration for any event
    • We will design a registration form that includes payment
    • Participants bring the receipt email to show that they paid
    • Event registration “button” moves to the top banner “latest news” is removed
  • Collect map bags at the finish so they can be reused

  • Update & move map library to BOK’s Google Drive

 

One Response to “Annual Meeting 2018-11-02”

  1. […] « Annual Meeting 2018-11-02 […]

Leave a Reply