2009 June Special Board Meeting

Filed under: BOK Meetings by Joseph on June 20th, 2009

Special Meeting of the Board, June 2009

Attending:

Board Members:

  • Artem
  • Andy
  • Vladimir
  • Joseph
  • Mihai

Members:

  • Charles
  • Nadia
  • Tanya
  • Sandro Gisler
  • Ruth
  • Patrik Heuman
  • Ken.

Proposed agenda

  • review of our membership and event fees
  • purchasing additional (5-10) SI control boxes
  • the way we handle comments posted on the web site
  • having an A meet next spring, possibly the intercollegiate
  • communications with Umstead Park office
  • resource for our relationships with all the landowners
  • handling of deposits after events
  • Bond Park maps & relationship
  • sales of Umstead and other maps, printed and electronically
  • a bit more policy in place for event directors, to facilitate the flow of information (i.e. the list of active members, membership payments, handing off punch cards after purchase etc).
  • Brian has a conflict for his Sept 27 event – who can switch?

Meeting started at 18:25.

* review of our membership and event fees

  • The balance and profit/loss sheets were reviewed. Except for Accounts Payable/Accounts Receivable (which required some updates), the numbers looked right.
  • By far, the biggest change was in park fees (estimated at $900 for the year).
  • We will incur additional costs in equipment maintenance, but they should not be substantial.
  • There is no reason to change the fees at this point. We will periodically monitor the financial data and, if major changes are noticed, act accordingly.

* purchasing additional (5-10) SI control boxes

  • Artem pointed out that we are regularly using up all of our controls.
  • Mihai got 4 controls and the old download box serviced (battery replacement).
  • Joseph pointed out that we probably will still run out at events even if we purchase more controls. A certain amount of reuse of controls across courses should allow us to make do with what we currently have.
  • Ken. pointed out that what we really need is spare start/finish controls, since if one fails, it is hard to re-program them in the field.
  • We will use the spare download box in programming mode, that would allow us to configure punch sticks at the events.
  • We will purchase 6 additional stations; we will have 2 spare starts, 2 spare finishes and 2 spare regular controls. That should give us enough room even if we account for 3-4 controls out of commission because of battery depletion. Mihai pointed out it is more cost-efficient to ship multiple controls for service, instead of a single one.

* the way we handle comments posted on the web site

  • Vladimir expressed concerns that we have a lot of comments that are unanswered.
  • Joseph and Mihai described the current process: comments are immediately answered by email (with the original recipients carbon-copied, so everybody knows the comment was answered). The majority of the comments so far were questions that already had their answers on the web site (albeit maybe not in very straightforward places): when is the next event, can I join the club, what should I bring etc.
  • Vladimir suggested that posting the comments on the web site may spur more involvement from the community.
  • Mihai admitted some of the comments could have been posted on the web site too.
  • It was decided that we will continue to respond to comments by email, and occasionally Mihai will review the comments, and post the ones with that are relevant to others.

* having an A meet next spring, possibly the intercollegiate

Why do we need to organize one? Not for raising funds, but because we would give the opportunity to others that organize A-meets to get a break. Plus, it is nice for members who generally don’t attend them to be able to compare with other clubs.
How can we encourage members to volunteer and help with the A-meet?

  • A volunteering-members only event
  • Some other incentives for helping at the A-meet

Enough people expressed interest, so we decided we will try to host one. Venues, in order of preference:

  1. Umstead: need to check with the park. The 1-year embargo may be problematic. Parking will definitely be an issue.
  2. Morrow Mountain (split each day with COK).
  3. Birkhead: still needs approval. We may need to map additional areas. Parking will be an issue, and the distance may put additional strain on volunteers, however the land has never been used for an “A” meet, and it is beautiful terrain.

* communications with Umstead Park office

  • We have not quite respected the 2-week notice for courses handed to the park, so we are partly responsible for their shifting of controls the last moment (even the day of the event).
  • We will try to approach them and patch up the relationship.
  • We want to develop better lines of communications

* resource for our relationships with all the landowners

  • Joseph proposed a series of pages on the web site where we could document our points of contact with various park owners, and the history of the relationship.
  • We want a resource that will include everything that event directors need to know
  • Charles suggested a wiki.
  • Mihai will look into wordpress extensions that are more wiki-like, or some wordpress pages.
  • Vladimir pointed out that we should have a way to re-upload the refreshed maps. Mihai will look into this.
  • Sandro said the information for a meet director is overwhelming. We should have a short checklist with pointers to elaborate.
  • Maybe have a couple of “specialists” for each area (map design, equipment, handling communication on the web site, generating results). There should be a page of “specialists” with their email addresses, or mailing lists, or both.

* handling of deposits after events

  • Joseph will write up a procedure for deposits (deposit slips, event directors depositing cash into their personal accounts and writing a check to BOK etc)
  • Andy and Mihai will sign the form to be registered as check signers for the club’s account with BB&T.

* maintenance of finger stick & membership payments and owner records (ties with policy too)

  • Joseph proposed a form that event directors have to fill in, that will list membership purchases, finger sticks etc.  It may be part of the existing lists or a separate sheet.
  • Mihai suggested that it is either handed directly to Ruth, or sent by email.

* Bond Park maps & relationship

  • We want to negotiate a map agreement with Bond Park
  • We will propose giving them a pdf version of the map, and will charge a nominal fee ($50 per year) for unlimited printing for that year, with the promise that we will give them an updated copy whenever we update the map. We would have to maintain the map for ourselves anyway.
  • We will communicate that we expect to use the park about twice a year.

* Other:

  • Artem suggested Google Forms to simplify the handling of purchases coming though Google Checkout.
  • Google Checkout increased their fees (2.9% + $0.30 per transaction). That accounts to 4.5% – 4.3% (for $25 or $35 charges). We will decide if we want to have a slightly higher price for purchases coming from Google after we analyze the online sales.

* sales of Umstead and other maps, printed and electronically

  • Mihai will occasionally send emails to the mailing list, reminding that we have Umstead maps for sale.

* Brian has a conflict for his Sept 27 event – who can switch?

  • Ruth and Joseph may switch; possibly Sandro.

————-This section was added after the meeting to facilate actions requested at the meeting ————–

Action Items:

* purchasing additional (5-10) SI control boxes

  • We will purchase 6 additional stations; we will have 2 spare starts, 2 spare finishes and 2 spare regular controls. That should give us enough room even if we account for 3-4 controls out of commission because of battery depletion. Mihai pointed out it is more cost-efficient to ship multiple controls for service, instead of a single one.
  • 6/29/09 by Joseph – Email sent to Joe Scarborough to request quote for 6 more BSF8 stations.

* having an A meet next spring, possibly the intercollegiate

  1. Umstead: need to check with the park. The 1-year embargo may be problematic. Parking will definitely be an issue.
    6/26/09 by Joseph – Spoke with Betty, park receptionist and explained our proposal.  She will speak with the staff, and get back with us.
  2. Morrow Mountain (split each day with COK).
  3. Birkhead: still needs approval. We may need to map additional areas. Parking will be an issue, and the distance may put additional strain on volunteers, however the land has never been used for an “A” meet, and it is beautiful terrain.

* communications with Umstead Park office

  • We want to develop better lines of communications
    6/26/09 by Joseph – Spoke with Betty, and discussed communications — us getting courses in on time, and rangers not picking up controls.

* resource for our relationships with all the landowners

  • Joseph proposed a series of pages on the web site where we could document our points of contact with various park owners, and the history of the relationship.
    6/27/09 by Joseph – Joseph uploaded a page with park contact information and notes.    A link can be found at the index for event directors
  • We want a resource that will include everything that event directors need to know
    6/27/09 by Josephuploaded a page that details our technical equipment inventory.  Other stuff for events should be added at some point.  A link can be found at the index for event directors
  • Charles suggested a wiki.
  • Mihai will look into wordpress extensions that are more wiki-like, or some wordpress pages.
  • Vladimir pointed out that we should have a way to re-upload the refreshed maps. Mihai will look into this.
  • Sandro said the information for a meet director is overwhelming. We should have a short checklist with pointers to elaborate.
  • Maybe have a couple of “specialists” for each area (map design, equipment, handling communication on the web site, generating results). There should be a page of “specialists” with their email addresses, or mailing lists, or both.

* handling of deposits after events

  • Joseph will write up a procedure for deposits (deposit slips, event directors depositing cash into their personal accounts and writing a check to BOK etc)
  • Andy and Mihai will sign the form to be registered as check signers for the club’s account with BB&T.

* maintenance of finger stick & membership payments and owner records (ties with policy too)

  • Joseph proposed a form that event directors have to fill in, that will list membership purchases, finger sticks etc.  It may be part of the existing lists or a separate sheet.

* Bond Park maps & relationship

  • We want to negotiate a map agreement with Bond Park
  • We will propose giving them a pdf version of the map, and will charge a nominal fee ($50 per year) for unlimited printing for that year, with the promise that we will give them an updated copy whenever we update the map. We would have to maintain the map for ourselves anyway.
  • We will communicate that we expect to use the park about twice a year.

* Other:

  • Artem suggested Google Forms to simplify the handling of purchases coming though Google Checkout.
  • Google Checkout increased their fees (2.9% + $0.30 per transaction). That accounts to 4.5% – 4.3% (for $25 or $35 charges). We will decide if we want to have a slightly higher price for purchases coming from Google after we analyze the online sales.

* sales of Umstead and other maps, printed and electronically

  • Mihai will occasionally send emails to the mailing list, reminding that we have Umstead maps for sale.

* Brian has a conflict for his Sept 27 event – who can switch?

  • Ruth and Joseph may switch; possibly Sandro.

Leave a Reply